Our body’s digestive system is a complex series of workings between our gastrointestinal tract and all the organs which are associated with processing everything we consume. It’s no wonder then to learn that it’s our diet which plays a crucial role when it comes to the proper functioning of our digestive system. Want to understand your digestive system just a little bit more? Here are 3 key things to know about your digestive system in 2020.
Digestive system enzymes
To help your body derive maximum benefit from the food you eat, your digestive system’s digestive enzymes assist in the metabolism of food. Your digestive system contains six different key enzymes that each work to break down a particular food or macronutrient such as fats, proteins, and fibrous foods. To get a little bit more specific:
- Amylase breaks down carbohydrates
- Protease breaks down proteins
- Lipase breaks down fats
- Cellulase breaks down cellulose
- Lactase breaks down dairy products
- Bromelain breaks down proteins
Common digestive system problems
Given how much our digestive system works for us daily, it’s no wonder that many of us can experience digestive system problems at some point in our lives. A digestive system enzyme deficiency can be a precursor to body imbalance, which can lead to disease. Common digestive system problems can include:
- Stomach ache
- Changes in bowel habit such as constipation or diarrhoea
- Food allergies and intolerances (such as gluten and dairy etc.)
Maintaining a healthy digestive system
Enjoying a diet that is rich in fibre, lean protein, and fresh fruit and vegetables is key to helping to maintain a healthy digestive system. Other things you can do include:
- Regularly exercising
- Minimising your alcohol consumption
- Avoid smoking
- Eat slowly and ensure you are chewing your food well – it’s where the whole digestive process starts remember
- Work to keep your stress levels as low as possible
Furthermore, including a probiotic in your everyday life can also help keep your digestive system and digestive enzymes fighting fit and healthy.
At Total Body Reboot, we have a number of different diet programs that can help you achieve your weight-loss goals while supporting a healthy digestive system. Check out our range of programs here or get in touch with one of our Personal Health Educators today for more information.